The TSL Kids Crew Blog
Depending on which age bracket your child falls in, there are a bunch of activities to do in an after school program. These programs are mostly meant for kids who are unable or cannot go home direct after school.
After school child care programs offer a wide variety of activities to children. These facilities are run by people who are well acquainted with the development process of a child and what they need to develop their cognitive abilities.
You might be wondering what do your kids do in after school child care program, and you have every right to be concerned. Well, there might be a variety of activities which they do there.
This depends on the policies of that particular institution but the majority of the activities they do include:
1. Snack art - Since children love snacking, they will understand better if taught some things using the snacks themselves. They can form various shapes using snacks, for example, draw trees, flowers, different shapes like triangle, circle, etc. all these snack art activities will stick better in the child’s mind rather than when shown how to do them using a book and a pen.
2. Storytelling sessions - The best way to communicate with kids is through stories. The creativity level for kids is high, and they like the imagery in stories.
3. Painters tape roads adventure - They use tapes to make roads for their toys to drive on. They learn the importance of control and consistency during these activities; these virtues still continue to count even when the child becomes a grown up.
4. Rainbow foam play - These are thick jellies which help kids have fun as they also learn the colors. A bunch of other exercises are developed from this, like doing a rainbow car wash, making foam mountains and valleys, these also develop the responsibility aspect as, after the play, the children can be made to wash their dishes with the foam, and they will find it fun doing it.
5. Table top soccer - This is a game of playing soccer on a table top
6. Alphabet slim - These are a mixture of glue, water, and borax. Then the letters of the alphabet are added. The kids play the game by hunting the colors or specific alphabet numbers in the mixture. They learn the colors as well as numbers of the alphabet in a fun and creative way.
The list cannot be exhaustive, but these activities can be categorized into either of the following; these will offer even a clear picture if you are still wondering what do your kids do in after school child care program?
Outdoor education - these are activities which are related to the school curriculum in one way or the other. They include scouting, camping, boys brigade and girl guides.
Performing arts - These include dances, drama, choir and bands.
Academic enrichment activities - For example cramming schools, mathematics, science, and technology.
Creative arts - These includes drawing, painting and doing other craft activities. These are some of the best activities to develop your Childs cognitive capabilities.
Sporting – This is playing of various games like soccer, baseball, hockey, swimming and any other games on their interest list.
Extracurricular activities like Category hopscotch and yoga dancing.
Financial literacy, like in jump start, junior achievements and more.
These are just a piece of the cake. To get more answers to the question of "what do your kids do in after school child care program?", visit their caregiver and enquire more or offer a suggestion of anything you might feel that it requires being added or eliminated from the list.
TSL Team Contributions
This blog is for parents and educators to learn more about our organization. It's also the space where we share information of interest to parents.